Thursday, October 27, 2011

Who Are You Being for Halloween?



I'm very excited to be Amy Winehouse this year. Sean and I are attending a Halloween-themed improv party, where a bunch of improvisers will dress up in costumes and perform. I wanted to wear something I could move around in, while simultaneously not being the asshole who wears a name tag and says he's Jeff.

So my first thought was zombie Amy Winehouse. Fun! Or so I thought until I was trying on a beehive wig in Burbank, and the sales clerk said, "That ugly bitch was so busted. Why was everyone surprised when she died? She's a freakin' junkie, I mean, what's sad about that?"

In a moment of clarity, I suddenly realized my preconceived notions about grief had been wrong all along. Note to self: It's the element of surprise that makes death tragic.

"You should put track marks on your arms," he continued. "And leaves in your hair, like you woke up in a parking lot."

Oh boy.

Hearing someone berate Winehouse like a joke made me quickly nix the zombie element of my costume. I couldn't control the jabs people might make, but I could also not endorse them with a gimmick that trivializes her death.

If you plan to be Amy this year, as I'm sure I'm not alone, I encourage you to skip the zombie makeup. Irony is on its way out, and sincerity is sexy, so rock your Amy costume without irony or starting a negative discussion.

My tips for a simple, easy to assemble Amy Winehouse costume:

* A Black Beehive Wig. Save your hair the trauma, and buy yourself a wig. I bought mine from a Halloween shop for $30 (the cheaper ones have clever, unauthorized names like the "Rehab Wig").

* Waterproof jet black eyeliner. Since you'll probably be dancing (or improvising, if you're a geek), you'll need a long-lasting solution that stays put. I recommend painting an exaggerated "cat eye" and then building upon it, little by little until you've created a super thick, chunky line.

* White wife-beater tank top with a black/mismatching bra. You want your bra straps to show, so pick a sexy, frilly bra with lace or texture.

* Black/dark wash skinny jeans. The idea is to look disheveled and glamorous at the same time. I'll be wearing a pair of shredded black skinnies.

* Make-up: matte nude lipstick. Contrary to popular belief, Amy didn't wear pin-up girl red lipstick very often. Pick a very neutral shade with no gloss. Pat your face down with a light powder, a little lighter than your natural skin tone. You can use an eyebrow pencil or eyeliner to draw a beauty mark above your lip. Remember the most essential part is the eyes, so make that line HUGE.

* Accessories: Chunky hoop earrings. A necklace. Pack of cigarettes. Head scarf that forms into a bow (optional). If you have an artistic friend, recruit them to draw your sleeve tattoos.

xo,
Sabrina London

No comments:

Post a Comment